[CoMoDev] Our next meeting

  • From: David Beers <cervezas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:30:05 -0600

Hey folks!

We've all been kinda quiet since the June meeting.  Either we're buried with
work (I've got my hand up) or on a summer break.  Anyway, just wanted to give a
big thanks again to Kevin Price for a great preso on RFID that was jammed with
a lot of good information.  The nutshell message I came away with was slightly
scary: RFID is a loose umbrella term for a bunch of related technologies, many
of which are not necessarily ready for prime time but are getting pushed into
prime time any way by a few early adopters with the market clout to force
adoption more widely.  The other message: it's coming now, but beware the hype.
 RFID has its place, but physics, engineering, and economics dictate that
barcoding is going to be around for quite some time and RFID will emerge
gradually.  Sounded to me like the biggest opportunity in the near term may be
for RFID-related services: companies that come in when an RFID deployment
hasn't gone as planned and figure out how to fix the situation.

So... we've got about 12 days before our next meeting and I thought I'd put the
usual request out for presentations.  Anybody got something they'd like to show
or talk about?  Requests for things they'd like someone else to talk about?
Don't be shy!

I've been thinking maybe we should try to get Darren Shaffer back for another
.NET CF presentation.  I don't know if that could happen this month (heck, I'm
not sure we could get him back at all after the debacle at Rock Bottom Brewery
last year) but I'm throwing it out there.  Another question: are people
interested in hearing a little about J2ME?  Something like "Writing GIS
applications that run on a $99 handset"?  Let me know.

Cheers!
---
David Beers
Pikesoft Mobile Computing