[CoMoDev] Of blogs and project estimation pitfalls

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:04:45 -0700

Small flurry of posts from me tonight....  It's not exactly that I had the time
to take a breath, I just *had* to stop and take a breath!  So what do I do?
Post stuff to Colorado Mobile Developers.  Just don't tell my wife, ok?

Anyway, software developer Christopher Hawkins (I didn't know him either) has
an interesting and thoughtful professional blog.  Here's an entry that I like
on the 5 pitfalls of estimating a software project:
http://www.christopherhawkins.com/06-01-2004.htm#11

A lot of developers, particularly independent consultants, are starting to keep
blogs about their work as software consultants.  Christopher points out that
this can be good business, if you do it right:
http://www.christopherhawkins.com/12-16-2004.htm#63

I resolve this year to revive the derelict blog I started (two really) on
www.pikesoft.com.  Like Chris, I had the experience last week of being
contacted by a very nice prospective client because of stuff I'd posted in that
blog and on various other mobile software forums.

David
David Beers
Pikesoft Mobile Computing
www.pikesoft.com