[CoMoDev] Re: Non-thermal mobile printers

  • From: David Beers <cervezas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dick_grier Grier <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 21:30:35 -0600

It's pretty evident in my searching around that thermal printers are the
overwhelming standard these days.  I'm hearing the complaints about thermal
printers through an intermediary so I'll have to probe this and find out what
the concern is.  I remember there was a day when leaving a document printed on
thermal paper on a sunny car seat could render it unreadable, but I expect
that's improved.

Over the course of the day I've talked to a couple of mobile dev guys I know
that deploy portable ink jet printers like the HP DeskJet 450CBi and Canon
BJC-80 in the field.  Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, though.  They're
cheap to buy but would be expensive to run.  Maybe for light duty where you
really needed great print quality on standard paper.

Whew, you can pay big bucks these days for a new portable dot-matrix impact
printer with 80s technology!  O'Neil has them starting at $900.

Thanks for the advice, guys.