[CoMoDev] Next Generation of PDA?

  • From: "Pete Schofield" <pete.schofield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:08:12 -0600

While we are talking about interesting new hardware, does anyone remember
OQO?

Talking from memory (excuse me if the details are not exact), I believe it
was the end of 2002 that they announced they were building PDA sized
computers.  Essentially, the CPU, hard drive, RAM, connectivity options,
etc. of a PC with the form factor and screen of a PDA.  The idea was that it
could be your primary PC when docked in the office and your PDA when on the
road.

It was first going to be available by the end of the year, then in May 2003,
then in the Fall 2003.  Then the website quit updating.  I assumed they did
not get VC funding or the concept didn't scale.

Evidently, they have it available now (http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/).
The price tag is $1900+, which is high for a PDA and high for its
capabilities as a PC, but the concept is very intriguing.

Pete Schofield
PGSoft, Inc.
(720) 851-7251
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx