[CoMoDev] Re: Mobile device market trends

  • From: "Rick Sands" <Rick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:52:38 -0600

I have a Nokia Communicator 9210 (The Brick) running Symbian.  I started
writing applications for it but quickly gave up as Nokia is (was? This was a
couple years ago) very hostile towards supporting small developers: If your
application didn't go through a Nokia Certification which the developer had
to pay for (per app), your application would display a nasty warning message
to the user about the application being uncertified and running it would be
at their own risk.  Sure, I suppose this keeps better QC, but at the same
time, it stifled grass-roots development.

-Rick