[CoMoDev] Meeting place

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 13:02:45 -0600

On Sun, 23 May 2004 11:39:23 -0600, Rick Sands wrote:
> There's a Red Robin ...

I agree with Kathy about the smoke problem at Rock Bottom Brewery.

The problem with Red Robin is the noise.  I don't know about the rest of you,
but I sometimes had a hard time hearing what people were saying even in Rock
Bottom Brewery.  At Red Robin you've got a lot of kids, singing waiters, etc.
and the sound is that much greater.  If we used the private banquet room at
Rock Bottom the noise wouldn't be an issue and I don't think the smoke would be
a problem either.  We just keep the doors closed.

I talked with Rock Bottom on Friday and they said for a party our size there
wouldn't be any extra charge for the use of the banquet room on a Tuesday
night--just an 18% gratuity that gets added to the bill.   That's certainly
reasonable.  Also they said there are electrical sockets in there that people
sometimes use to run computers for presentations and what-not.  Since part of
our next meeting will involve demos using Visual Studio .NET and the Palm OS
Developer Studio it'd be nice to have a room where we could arrange the
furniture to make it easy for people to watch a demo.

This brings up another point: how best to do presentations.  If the group gets
much bigger and we start doing a lot of demonstrations on a computer screen it
might mean we should really try to get into a facility with a projector and
screen (maybe Microsoft's offices?).  If the group stays small and the
presentations are kept short we might manage fine with a laptop and one extra
monitor.  I can bring an extra monitor to the next meeting so that we don't all
have to crowd around one screen.  Any thoughts on this?  Of course, if someone
has access to a video projector this would be a good time to speak up!

My personal feeling at this point in time (could change!): I don't want things
to get too PowerPointy, with most of every meeting occupied by one person
talking and showing stuff on a screen.  So while great presentation technology
would be a plus, it's not essential in my book--at least not yet.  I'd like to
hear what others have to say, though.