[CoMoDev] Re: Medium Duty Hardware

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:29:52 -0600

These look great.  This is indeed a gap that needed to be filled!  Thanks for
the pointer, Pete.

While we're talking about mid-range "semi-rugged" mobile devices, has anyone
had any experience with the AlphaSmart Dana?
(http://www2.alphasmart.com/products/dana-w.html)  The Dana was originally
designed as a tough and inexpensive laptop replacement for use in schools,
where kids would be dropping them and throwing them around all the time.  But
the version with built-in WiFi and a couple SD slots looks like it would make
sense in field applications where a full-size keyboard is desired or extra
screen real estate is a plus.  It runs Palm OS 4.1, and as far as I know is the
only laptop-like device that does.  It's also the only Palm OS device I know of
that has standard USB connectors: two of them.  Nice for connecting to a
portable printer out in the field.  This was designed by the same engineers who
designed the Handera 330, still one of the best PDAs ever made.

One of these days I'm just going to buy one to see what it's like, but I'd love
to hear from someone who has got their hands on one.

David