[CoMoDev] Linux server redux

  • From: David Beers <cervezas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:05:44 -0600

Slightly off-topic, but hopefully of interest to some of you. Several months
back I blasted a message out to see if anyone was interested in splitting the
cost of a dedicated (or maybe virtual private) Linux server for development and
demo purposes.  I was looking for something where I could install Tomcat, Resin
and/or JBoss, some open source RDBMS packages like MySQL or HSQL, PHP 5, CVS
for collaborative development, etc.  At the time it looked like the cheapest
thing around was going to be about $50/mo and this didn't usually give you root
access so you were at the mercy of the admins when it came to certain kinds of
software installations.

What's interesting is that now you can get a virtual private server with full
root access for only $20/mo.  You can put anything you want on it, the only
limitation being that you can't build your own Linux kernel since they use a
special kernel that enables the virtualization.  It's pretty interesting how
this virtualization technology has moved from the desktop (VMWare, Virtual PC)
to the server room (User Mode Linux, Xen) particularly when it makes it so you
can basically have your own Linux box in a 99.9% uptime data center on the
Internet backbone for what a dial-up internet account cost a few years ago.
Here are two well-reviewed VPS hosts that I'm looking at:

http://www.eapps.com

http://rimuhosting.com  (These guys were $50/mo back in Jan and are down to $20
now)

See you folks tomorrow night.