[CoMoDev] Last night's meeting, and future ones

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:15:31 -0600

Folks,

Wanted first to thank Darren Shaffer for what I'm hearing was an *excellent*
presentation.  And I do want to apologize for the problem with the venue.  Rock
Bottom Brewery has always been able to give us a quiet banquet room when I
requested one and gave me no reason to believe we'd have anything but that when
I placed the reservation last week.  Otherwise I would have arranged for a
different location at that time.  I understand from Darren and Kathy that once
we had the count we were expecting for the meeting you folks left the
restaurant and moved to a nearby home.  I'm glad this was possible, though
apparently a couple of people arrived late and didn't know where to go. I'm
deeply sorry for the inconvenience to all.

In retrospect--and I understand this was discussed at the meeting--we need a
new meeting location where we can have presentations like this.  Microsoft's
Denver office has been suggested before and when I spoke with Ashwin Karuhatty
at Microsoft yesterday he indicated that they were happy to discuss lending us
their space.  Their office is in the Denver Tech Center, a few miles north of
our current location, but not too far.

The fact that this presentation attracted quite a bit of interest from new
members and folks who hadn't yet attended a meeting signals to me that there is
a demand for some more "formal" presentations in addition to the informal
sharing and networking we've been doing.  I don't know if we can get a speaker
like Darren for every meeting, but I'm certainly willing to work on it.  I'd
like to hear your comments on this, and your thoughts about making the
Microsoft offices (or a similar venue that has projection equipment) a regular
meeting place.  I'm thinking that having a consistent place to meet is a good
thing and that it ought to accommodate whatever meeting content we expect to
have in the future.

Darren has sent me his PowerPoint presentation and I will add a download page
to the CoMoDev website in the next couple of days where you can download it.
If you want it sooner just drop me an email and I'll send it to you.  Some
presentations like this aren't the sort that the authors want to be broadcast
on the Internet since they put a lot of work into them and like to be
compensated by getting the occasional honorarium.  So I'll be adding a login
feature that enables members to download such presentations.  There's no
special requirement to become a member of the site, but it does keep this stuff
from just showing up in a Google search, which is probably all the "security"
we need.  Again, your comments on this are invited.

Since we have Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays coming up near our next two
meeting dates I'd suggest we declare a CoMoDev holiday and plan to resume our
meetings in January.  How does this sound to the rest of you?