[CoMoDev] Re: Last night's meeting

  • From: "dick_grier Grier" <dick_grier@xxxxxxx>
  • To: comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:49:58 -0600

One question that came up concerned whether you could access device-specific
functionality from within a SuperWaba application, which runs in a VM like any
other Java app. The answer is yes, but you need to write a native library in
whatever API exposes the desired functionality and then call that library from
within your SuperWaba app. This can be done for either Palm *or* PocketPC,
though of course any app that depends on such a native library won't run on
other platforms unless you write a similar library for those platforms. I was
under the impression that such libraries were supported only on the Palm, but
it's not the case: you can write them using eVC++ for Win CE devices or
CodeWarrior (or PODS) for Palm.
<<

SuperWaba provides an IO class (this would be a namespace in .NET, though I'm not sure of the terminology that these Jave types use for it). This has some simple serial IO routines. These do not provide a receive or other UART "event" notifications, but for simple things would be satisfactory.

Thus, for something like GPS, which will be next month's topic, decoding NMEA-0183 should be practical and useful.

Dick

Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.