[CoMoDev] Last night's meeting

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:23:33 -0600

Great to see a good group last night.  Thanks to Dick, who had made an
announcement at the Denver VS.NET User Group meeting the night before, we had
some new faces and the discussion among the 7 of us was lively.

We talked about and looked at Eclipse--IBM's open source development
environment--and how it can be used for mobile development.  I used the
SuperWaba Eclipse plug-in to show how you could develop apps in Java that would
not only run on different mobile platforms (like Palms and PocketPCs) but would
automatically adapt to the screen resolution and color depth supported by the
hardware.

One question that came up concerned whether you could access device-specific
functionality from within a SuperWaba application, which runs in a VM like any
other Java app.  The answer is yes, but you need to write a native library in
whatever API exposes the desired functionality and then call that library from
within your SuperWaba app.  This can be done for either Palm *or* PocketPC,
though of course any app that depends on such a native library won't run on
other platforms unless you write a similar library for those platforms. I was
under the impression that such libraries were supported only on the Palm, but
it's not the case: you can write them using eVC++ for Win CE devices or
CodeWarrior (or PODS) for Palm.

There was some interest in making Global Positioning Systems (GPS) our topic
for next time.  We'll have to talk about how demos might work since GPS doesn't
operate well indoors. Perhaps we can reserve a table outside (weather
permitting) or maybe we even meet at a park and make it more of a picnic
meeting.  Suggestions welcome.  Paging Jason Simpkins!  I'm hoping I can get
this guy out to the August meeting since GPS (for aviation) is his bread and
butter.  Jason, if you're reading this let us know if you can join us.  As
those who attended last night can attest, "presentations" don't really have to
be much more than something to provoke a little discussion, and can be very
informal.

One thing I'd like to figure out with regard to GPS is how I could simulate a
stream of GPS data for debugging purposes while I'm sitting (motionless and
indoors) at my computer.  Maybe someone has worked this out, or if not, maybe
I'll try to work it out myself in time for the next meeting.