[CoMoDev] Jeff Hawkins interview

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:28:25 -0700

Jeff Hawkins fans will be interested in this interview in EE Times:
http://www.eet.com/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=57300516

It deals in part with Hawkins' work in computer intelligence (he claims he has
a powerful new way to go about pattern recognition that will solve problems
like computer vision and speech recognition).  He sees kind of a revolution
taking place here starting in just a couple of years.  His work at the Redwood
Neuroscience Institute that he founded recently now occupies about half his
time.

He also talks somewhat cryptically on the "next big thing" he's working on as
CTO at PalmOne, where the other half of his time goes.  He can't say much about
that but I always get inspired when I hear Hawkins say things like this:

"The smart phone is clearly going to be a major driver in all multimedia
computing. In a few years we'll have 3 billion cell phones out there, and they
will all be smart phones eventually. They will all have lots of memory,
processors and operating systems.

"This is a huge sea change in the cell phone industry. You will see an upgrade
cycle you could compare to the PC world going from character-based to
graphical-based computers.

"Clearly, smart phones will be people's first and foremost browser, their first
line of defense on e-mail. There will be more and more things no one has really
talked about yet."

If it weren't for Hawkins and his Treo 600 I wonder where PalmOne (and the Palm
OS) would be today.  Most likely on the way out.  But while he's around I will
always be bullish on the future of the Palm OS.