[CoMoDev] Re: January meeting: Tues 24th at Countermind

  • From: "Andrei P." <andreip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:28:22 -0700

Dick,

Thanks for the info. I didn't try that because my goal was to use
distinctive VS2005 features. For example there is Process class in v2.0, but
already having VS2005 release and knowing about it I had to spend about a
day making a library to start a process, to get PID from HWND and so on.
Another example: creating CF controls in VS2005 is as easy as for desktop
framework. To keep my development time under control I create a class, not a
control under VS2003. Wow ! what a fancy expression!
So using VS2005 would speed up my development.
However I had a problem with my laptop having both VS2003 and VS2005 on it
and I ended up removing the later and reinstalling VS2003. VS2003 just
stopped working after a couple of weeks. The reason is unknown, but the
consequences are still showing up, like whatever I do I can't debug ASP.NET
app anymore.

Did anybody have conflicts between two Studios?
Is anybody using VS2005 to develop CF .NET v1.0 applications like Dick is
describing?

Speaking about the debugging ... I think it should be opposite: you can
debug on the device, but the emulator is very different in VS2005 and also
one of very attractive features. If connects over ActiveSync (Yes, there is
a version conflict: 2003 works with up to 3.8, but 2005 needs 4.0) and one
can Explore the emulator like it's a device.

Andrei