[CoMoDev] Re: January meeting: Tues 24th at Countermind

  • From: "Dick Grier" <dick_grier@xxxxxxx>
  • To: comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:48:18 -0700

Hi Andrei,

You can develop for Compact Framework 1 (PPC2002) devices using VS2005. The code will be the same as that generated by Visual Studio 2003. You cannot deploy Compact Framework 2 code on any devices other than Pocket PC 2003 (some say SE, others say that it works for both -- but I haven't tried).

What that means is that when you open Visual Studio 2005 and select a Pocket PC 2003 project -- then select the icon named Device Application (1.0), you are using the Compact Framework 1, which can be deployed to a Pocket PC 2002 device... However, you are debugging it on the emulator, and I don't think you can debug interactively with the physical device -- but, I haven't tried it, so I'm not 100% sure. Personally, for Pocket PC 2002, I'm going to use Visual Studio 2003, and use Visual Studio 2005 only when I get my new Windows Mobile 5 PPC.

Dick

Richard Grier (Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic)
Hard & Software
12962 West Louisiana Avenue
Lakewood, CO 80228
303-986-2179 (voice)
303-593-9315 (fax)
Homepage: www.hardandsoftware.net

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 4th Edition ISBN 1-890422-28-2 (391 pages) published July 2004. For faster service, contact the publisher at http://www.mabry.com/vbpgser4.