[CoMoDev] Re: January meeting: Tues 24th at Countermind

  • From: "Andrei P." <andreip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:11:47 -0700

Jeff,

2. I went to the very first launch event of VS2005 in San Francisco and
specifically asked MS experts about that. The answer was NO. VS2005 is for
WM2003SE (Second Edition) and later. Personally I didn't try that, because I
don't have any WM2003 (not SE) device anymore, but I have PPC2002 and it
does not work.

3. "The better IDE" is Eclipse 3.1. But the better tool for J2ME is probably
WebSphere, because there is a specific SDK for each device like Pocket PC or
Palm and it allows you to debug the app like in VS. On other hand the latest
WSDD (WebSphere Studio Device Developer) I have, is v5.7.1 and it contains
Eclipse v2, which sucks if you have experience with v3.
J9 is IBM's java machine for portable applications. I always (since 1997 I
believe) liked IBM's JVM better. I recall at those years IBM's javac
(compiler) was like 10 or so times faster than Sun's one.
I use Eclipse for headless devices and can't advice about using it with PPC.
In my case it allows to debug the app remotely, seeing source code,
variables, threads, setting breakpoint etc. So I assume it's not worse with
PPC and I'd give it a shot.
If you want WSDD but won't be able to download it, you can borrow my demo,
but I won't make it to the meeting tomorrow, so Email me if you need.

Andrei Podoplelov