[CoMoDev] Interesting C|Net article

  • From: David Beers <cervezas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:06:17 -0600

"Has the notebook-to-handheld conversion begun?"

http://news.com.com/Has+the+notebook-to-handheld+conversion+begun/2100-1005_3-5815979.html?tag=nefd.lede

One thing I thought was interesting was that some companies see as an advantage
not just the lower cost and greater mobility of a handheld, but actually the
LOWER functionality compared to a laptop: handhelds like Blackberries just do
the things they need their employees to do without supporting a lot of
entertainment features.  I think this helps explain the popularity of the
Blackberry as a business device despite there being fancier, sexier, business
status symbols like the high end Palms and Window Mobile devices that verge on
laptop functionality.  For many business users these high function devices may
actually do too much.

Of course the headline is sensational and the "conversion" is something that's
not really taking a bite out of notebook sales, but it's good to see an article
like this.