[CoMoDev] Re: Help keep CoMoDev rolling

  • From: Jeff Preston <jpreston12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:01:21 -0700 (PDT)

grats on the gig, David!

I prefer the weekend option...wouldnt be the same
without you there.

Small update on the gig in South America. I come
home in 2 weeks...yay! Try to salvage a bit of
summer.

As I suspected, the reality of the job was
different than the proposal. I thought I came
here to help a new Zealand scale company migrate
RFID systems to mobile devices. What actualy
happened was I spent 4 months trying to figure
out a way for the ranchers in Argentina and
Uruguay to comply with all the new traceablity
laws the governments passed recently. These guys
have some serious technoPhobia issues and RFID
was discussed, then promptly shelved. They might
look at RFID someday in the future but they have
more pressing needs like how to send the forms to
the government servers. Most of these guys have
never seen a calculator much less a computer.

The temporary solution turned out to be Excel! So
I am writing Excel macros for their new laptops.
They really took to Excel and its amazing what
you can do with it. You can even take an RFID
reader, plop Dick Grier's ActiveX serial control
into an Excel userform, and grab data.

cu all soon

Jeff

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs