[CoMoDev] Help keep CoMoDev rolling

  • From: David Beers <cervezas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:10:23 -0600

Hi folks,

As is usual in the summer we had a smaller turnout for the July meeting (just 4
of us) so the preso was kept pretty informal and the conversation (ranging
around J2ME and Blackberry) was lively and interesting.  A huge thanks to Troy
Wood for hosting us at Path Finder CG, which is a very nice facility: lots of
room, great projection technology and close to I-25 and the DTC.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to make it for the August meeting.  In fact, I've
got a long-term on-site contract with a customer in Chicago that's going to
keep me from making any mid-week meetings for the next (knock on wood) 9-14
months.  It's a Mon-Thu gig, so I'll be back here most weekends but Tuesdays
are right out.  I really want to make sure CoMoDev keeps growing and improving
apace with the rapid growth of mobile technology, but the group really needs an
organizer to make that possible and that should be someone who can attend
regularly.  So there are a couple of options:

1.  One of the "regulars" can step up and take my place as the organizer.  It's
not a big time commitment: you just need to pester the list from time to time
with emails so they know what's going on and periodically hit someone up to
present or to help with the venue.  I don't mind continuing to host and
administer the web site and email list as my continued contribution.  So except
for some light phoning/emailing and showing up for most of the meetings
sometime close to the start time--and I've set a LOW bar for that--there's not
that much to do.

2.  The other option, which I hesitate to suggest, is that we could move our
meeting day to a Friday or Saturday when I can still attend.  Fri/Sat evenings
might be hard for some, but maybe a Saturday daytime meeting would work if we
can arrange a meeting place.  A daytime meeting would be expensive for me since
my wife would use it as an excuse to make a monthly shopping pilgrimage to Park
Meadows mall, but it would be worth it. :-)  Still, I'd want to have a pretty
broad consensus from the regulars that a changed meeting day would be ok before
I'd consider this.

So, if you would like to volunteer to be CoMoDev's MC/organizer, or you have
something to say about the meeting day, speak up!  CoMoDev needs your
contribution/input!

David Beers
Pikesoft Mobile Computing
www.pikesoft.com