[CoMoDev] Re: Future Treos will sync with MS Exchange out-of-box

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Beers <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:05:42 -0600

An update on this:

PalmOne released the Treo 650 today and it turns out that they *did* succeed in
implementing the built-in Exchange Server ActiveSync feature mentioned in the
article below.  While consumers will like a lot of small touches that make the
650 better than the 600 (bigger battery, hi-res screen, Bluetooth, etc.) it's
going to be this less noticed feature that will make it a big hit in the
corporate world.  Watch out Intellisync!  Middleware no longer needed for PIM
sync with Exchange Server on this Palm OS device!

On the other hand, if you're like me you probably aren't too excited because
you'd rather avoid the perpetual security issues with Outlook and are quite
happy with POP3 email.  If that's the case, the other good news is that
PocoSystems, makers of award-winning PocoMail and a highly-buzzed
Outlook-killer called Barca, will be announcing a public beta for a Palm/Barca
PIM sync solution before the week is out.  (See
http://www.pocosystems.com/home/ .)

PocoSystems has created what so many wish Palm had done with Palm Desktop:
designed a powerful, clean PIM and email application on a par with--and in many
respects superior to--MS Outlook.  Here's a rave review of Barca 1.0:
http://www.pcmag.com/review/0%2C2491%2Cs%3D25406&a%3D133917%2C00.asp  The new
release will be 1.1 and if you've been thinking about bailing out of Outlook I
encourage you to download the trial version when it's released. (Full
disclosure: I'm the developer for the Barca-Palm conduits, which may color my
enthusiasm a bit.  On that note, I'd better get back to work!)