[CoMoDev] Future Treos will sync with MS Exchange out-of-box

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:49:59 -0600

PalmOne has announced that future Treo smartphones will sync with MS Exchanges
Server straight out of the box, eliminating the need for 3rd party sync
software to do this.

http://www.mobilepipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=49400681

Since the 3rd party software packages for this run $100-200 a seat that's a
pretty significant value-added.  I wonder if this will be in the
soon-to-be-released Treo 650.  That would indeed be a nice surprise. The
Tungsten T5 release this week
(http://www.palmone.com/us/products/handhelds/tungsten-t5/) was pretty
uninteresting considering it's been a year since we saw the T3 and the main
"innovation" is just a whole lot of memory.  Ok, 256Mb of non-volatile internal
memory that can be used like a removable drive on your PC is interesting...but
no built-in WiFi, no Cobalt OS, and no more slider or voice recorder?  Palm is
overdue for another big hit and it really needs to be the Treo 650. I'm
guessing they really mean it when they say they're keeping their eye on the
smart phone prize and paying less attention to the PDA market.