[CoMoDev] First malicious Windows CE virus

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:38:41 -0600

The day we knew would arrive has arrived.  It's only a proof of concept this
time.

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS8460314449.html

The Cabir virus was another one that was found last month, but it infects
Symbian OS smart phones so that's mostly a problem for countries that weren't
part of the "Coalition of the Willing."  ;-)   Of course those of us who are
Palm developers know that the Palm OS is 100% invulnerable to such attacks, so
just as Palm OS devices never crash there will *never* be a Palm OS virus. ;-)

Does anyone think that it's fishy that an Anti-Virus software company
"discovers" the first Windows CE virus shortly after releasing their AV product
for Windows CE?  The product is free for the time being, still...   Well, in
any case, here's the link to BitDefender Antivirus for Windows CE:
http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/products.php?p_id=22.  I use their product
on my PCs and like it much better than Norton or McAfee.

They have a Palm OS version too, for reasons that I cannot explain.