[CoMoDev] Donald Knuth on NPR

  • From: David Beers <cervezas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:05:07 -0700

This is not exactly a mobile computing item, but any programming geek should
enjoy this unusual audio interview with the legendary Donald Knuth on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4532247

I was intrigued that Knuth "long ago" quit using email.  In fact, I noticed
from his web site that he kicked his 15 year email habit back in 1990 (!)
before practically anybody even knew what email was. He explains it like this:

"Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on
top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of
things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible
concentration. I try to learn certain areas of computer science
exhaustively; then I try to digest that knowledge into a form that is
accessible to people who don't have time for such study."

David