[CoMoDev] Re: DJUG J2ME presentation

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 19:58:21 -0600

Thanks, Sue.

This sounds like a good intro to J2ME, especially for a free workshop. I
believe you also do more extensive courses on a contract basis for businesses,
right? (http://www.switchbacksoftware.com/bootcamp.htm)  For me "bootcamp"
gives the impression that I'll be waking up the next morning with a sore brain
and realizing it's about to start all over again ;-)   I'm wondering if you or
your company ever schedules and advertises a full 2-day J2ME bootcamp that
anyone can sign up for.

When I first got started in Palm development I'd studied and used a little Java
and wondered about writing Java apps for the Palm platform. At the time it
seemed like it wasn't quite there and I took the more traditional C language
route.  But I think that may possibly be changing now that some of the new
Palms are shipping with VMs written in fast native ARM code.  If you had a
course on the calendar and a published price I might be interested, and suspect
others in the area would as well.

I was disappointed that the PDA profile for J2ME didn't quite get off the
ground, but there's still the MIDP, which is pretty powerful.  There will
always be a lot more handsets with Java VMs than there ever will be Palm OS or
Windows Mobile handset.  Something to think about.