[CoMoDev] Cross platform development

  • From: David Beers <cervezas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 12:10:02 -0600

Dick Grier sent me a pointer to this open source framework for developing
native cross-platform applications.  http://www.wxwidgets.org

Neither of us has run across this before, though they say they've been around
for 12 years.  I haven't looked under the hood at all, but from the sound of it
they've written an abstraction layer that bridges your code to the underlying
API at compile-time instead of the Java approach of using a virtual machine
that interprets bytecode.  Cool!

The main focus has been on desktop apps, but they do have ports to WinCE and
and an alpha Palm OS Cobalt port. I'm taking those claims with a shovel full of
salt, though.  The implication that you could put an application written for a
desktop PC and run it on Palm OS after a simple recompile is pretty dubious.
Even Windows desktop to WinCE is not going to happen that way.  They're just
different animals.  Still, it would be nice to write WinCE apps that are
reasonably portable to Palm OS and vice versa and that run at native speed,
wouldn't it?  (Yeah, I know, I'm the one who is always talking about this kind
of thing.)

I think I mentioned last year that I've got a colleague who has taken that
abstraction layer approach to create a unified C/C++ API for targetting WinCE,
Palm OS, and Symbian devices.  But it's commercial and still very primitive--I
don't think much has been done to make it more than a platform for writing
games.  This is the kind of thing that works very well as an open source
project because writing code that is portable is such a universal
need--particularly among those who are already inclined toward OSS because of
their use of Linux/Unix, Mac OSX, etc.  I'm amazed how fast an embedded version
of SWT (the Java windowing toolkit used to create Eclipse) was cranked out to
support SWT mobile applications for WinCE and Symbian.  It went from being a
proposal back in I think October to first release last month.  Granted, you've
got IBM, Nokia, and Motorola behind the project, but that in itself tells you
something about how the open source community has matured.

David
---