[comodev] CoMoDev news

  • From: David Beers <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 14:58:04 -0600

Hi all,

&#160;

A poor man's= Colorado Mobile Developers "newsletter" for you. &#160;Thanks
to all who= made the first meeting! &#160;I think we're off to a great=
start!

&#160;

***Announcing the CoMoDev= Email Discussion List***

&#160;

I took the= liberty of subscribing those who have expressed an interest in
the Colorado= Mobile Developers group to an email list I created for the
group. &#160;If= you are receiving this message you're subscribed. &#160;You
can, of course,= unsubscribe if you like: send a message to
comodev-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx= with the word 'unsubscribe' in the subject
line. &#160;However, this will= be the main way I will use to keep in touch
with the whole group and it= makes it possible for all of you to do the
same.&#160;To post a message to= the whole group just reply to this message
or send a new one to= comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

&#160;

After doing= some research it looked like freelists.org was one of the
betteroptions= that didn't have obtrusive advertising. &#160;I wanted
something with a= searchable web archive and the ability for users to
configure how they want= to the list to work for them. &#160;And that was
free. &#160;To view and= edit your preferences you can browse to
www.freelists.org, search on= CoMoDev, follow the link to our FreeLists
page,and click "Login directly= to this list". &#160;The first time you
login, just leave the password= blank and give the email address you gave me
earlier. &#160;You'll be sent= a temporary password that you can use to
login. &#160;Once logged in you= can click "Change Settings" to
enable/disable features like digest,= out-of-office, hide yourself from the
membership list, etc.

&#160;

***First= Meeting a Big Success***

&#160;

Well, at= least it was a success from my point of view. &#160;Turnout of 8
was better= than expected with three great "walk-ins" that I hadn't
communicated with= (not counting the waiter). &#160;I expect to see at least
one or two more= in June. &#160;We have some very diverse backgrounds but
obviously no= shortage of things to talk about. &#160;We also have our first
sponsor:= David Fedor, Director of Developer Architecture at PalmSource, is=
personally pitching in an Amazon gift certificate that we can raffle off at=
the next meeting. &#160;Mr. Fedor is also talking about coming to our=
Augustmeeting, schedule permitting. &#160;He can't say whether he will= have
any prototype Palm OS 6 "Cobalt" devices that he can demo for us at= that
time, but the fact that he didn't give a definite "no" could always= mean
it's a possibility. &#160;I notice that Dell has been the first vendor= to
release devices with the new Windows Mobile 2003 SE, so perhaps someone=
would like to rush out and buy one of those so the rest of us can play with=
it! &#160;(To whomever would like to do this, may I recommend the one with=
the 624MHz processor and the dual wireless connectivity?)

&#160;

***A few loose= ends***

&#160;I didn't get= contact information from some of the new members,
specifically John Lowe= and David Horowitz. &#160;If any of you got business
cards or vCards from= either of these guys, please let me know so I can get
in touch with= them.
* We settled= on not one but two possible dates for the next meeting:
&#160;June 8 or= June 22. &#160;I'd like to hear from Jason and Conrad, who
didn't make the= first meeting as to whether one of these dates is better
than the other.= &#160;Once we decide, I'll make either the 2nd Tuesday or
4th Tuesday our= regular meeting time to avoid future confusion. &#160;Some
folks said that= groups like this have a hard time meeting during the summer
when people are= away, but among the ones present I didn't hear any say they
wouldn't want= to keep meeting through the summer. &#160;I'm happy to keep
meeting as long= as we can get at least 3 or 4 others.
* The future= meeting place is still somewhat up in the air. &#160;Rock
Bottom Brewery= does indeed have great beer and food, IMO, but the sound
level was too high= for comfortable conversation. &#160;Suggested options:
  * Rock Bottom Brewery has a nice= small banquet room. &#160;If people like
the location and the restaurant= this might be quiet enough for us and even
give us room to spread out and= do something more like a presentation.
&#160;Dick Grier mentioned that it's= easiest for folks who drive a long
distance if we meet at dinner time and= people can have a meal while we
talk.&#160;Downside: there will be a cost= to the banquet room. &#160;At
press time I hadn't heard back as to what= that cost is.
  * Meet in= someone's home. &#160;While the group is small this is a good
option if a= centrally located member wants to step up to the plate and
offertheir home= for a couple of hours a month. &#160;I for one would be
willing to help= with food if we do this and I'll bet others might as well,
so it isn't a= burden on the host.
  * See if we= can use one of the meeting rooms at Microsoft in the DTC.
&#160;The= location is near where we were and the facilities first rate for
auser= group, if they are available. &#160;Food could be brought in.
&#160;Not= sure if they'd be keen on beer. &#160;The atmosphere would be
more, shall I= say, formal? &#160;That has its advantages and disadvantages.
I haven't= called about this yet.

&#160;

***Agenda for June= Meeting***

In recognition of the fact that= we have roughly equal numbers of Palm and
PocketPC developers in the group= and some interest by each in the other,
ourJune meeting will include a= couple of 20-minute show-and-tell
presentations. &#160;Dick Grier, will be= demonstrating how easy it is to
develop for PocketPC using Visual Studio= .NET and the .NET Compact
Framework. &#160;We're very glad to have Dick as= a member of the group
sincehe's been a stalwart contributor to the Windows= CE / PocketPC
developercommunity for many years and has published some= excellent books on
the topic. &#160;On the Palm OS side, I'll be= demonstrating PalmSource's
brand spanking new free open source development= environment, the Palm OS
Developer Studio (PODS). &#160;PODS will be= familiar to anyone who has used
the Eclipse IDE framework, which has a= sophisticated plug-in system to
enable support for many different languages= and platforms (referred to in
the Eclipse lingo as "perspectives").= &#160;By the time of the meeting it's
likely that PalmSource will have an= update of the pre-release version of
this development environment.= &#160;PODS is the only environment at this
time that supports writing= software that targets Cobalt devices (Palm OS
6).

Look forward to hearing some= discussion start on the mailing list. &#160;I
was going to say "Bring it= On!" but that has been used conspicuously in a
different less happy context= so I guess I'll just say, "Welcome to the
group!"