[CoMoDev] Re: Application password control of pocket pc

  • From: "Darren Shaffer" <darren_shaffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:00:19 -0600

There are a number of approaches to this.

You can put the Pocket PC into a kiosk mode, meaning that your application
is the only application that the user can get to upon power-on of the
device. There are a spectrum of options to do this that range from simply
deleting the shortcuts on to all other apps on device, to maximizing your
app (SH_FULLSCREEN) and hiding the Start bar.  For more info, use google
advanced groups Search on microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
and Search for kiosk mode.  There are some third party utilities that Are
very complete implementations of this features.

You can also detect that your PPC app is closing or losing focus.  Depending
on whether you are using the Compact Framework or eMbedded Visual Tools, the
code varies, but you can detect a loss of focus and display a modal dialog
that requires a password and then set focus back to your app.

If you let me know what dev tools/language you're using and a little More
about your specific objectives with this feature, I can send You some sample
code.

Darren Shaffer
Principal Software Architect
Connected Innovation