[communitygarden] 2021 Gardening Season

  • From: Debbie Dailey <ddailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: communitygarden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 11:35:35 -0400

Hello Gardeners!

Welcome to the 2021 gardening season and all the hope and excitement that comes with packets of seeds and a garden plot that is like a blank canvas ready to come to life! We are expecting 6 or so new gardeners this year and look forward to meeting them.

_*Garden plots and tilling*_: Dan and Hilary spent some time on Saturday with pen and paper mapping out the garden and assigning plots to new gardeners. Tilling of the garden will happen....when it happens. Typically it happens in May and the actual date depends on the weather. We'll let you know via this listserv when the tilling has been scheduled. After tilling, Dan will use stakes and string to mark the plots. For those of you who are new, you will notice that some plots are "no till" or "no dig" and the holders of those plots may already be busily gardening but everyone else has to wait until tilling occurs to get started.

_*Starting seeds*_: Dan has some small cold frames in his plot. There is limited space available if you would like to start some plants there.

_*Water*_: The water spigot near the garden shed was dismantled last fall as part of the bathroom construction. We met with Tricia Follert, our contact with the town, for help getting this reestablished and she said it should be done around May 15.

_*Grow a row for others*_: the Lamoille Community Food Share on Harrell Street would love to have you grow a row for them! The vegetables their clients are most interested in are: potatoes, winter squash, carrots, onions, green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, and lettuce of all kinds. Their dream is that the veggies are provided pretty clean and portioned in bags but they will accept, and be most grateful for, any donations throughout the growing season.

_*Learn about no-dig gardening*_: there are pros and cons to tilling a garden every year. Charlie Nardozzi recently published a book about no-dig gardening and also created a 60 minute webinar. Here's a link to an article he wrote. <https://ahsgardening.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/No-Dig-Garden-TAG-JF21-1.pdf>
There is also a book in the garden shed that you can borrow, Weedless Gardening by Lee Reich, which is the same idea. Jeff and Hilary found this very helpful last summer.

That's all for now! There are a few more small plots available if you know anyone who might be interested.

You can contact us here:
Dan McLaughlin dano.m802@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:dano.m802@xxxxxxxxx> 603-581-4352
Hilary Warner hilaryfrostwarner@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:hilaryfrostwarner@xxxxxxxxx> 603-223-9940

--