[codeface] Re: use case: identify potential committers

  • From: Mitchell Joblin <joblin.m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: codeface@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 22:39:45 +0200

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 10:18 PM, Roger Meier <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi
>
> We do not have enough committers within the Apache Thrift project.
>
> I thought that CodeFace might help me to identify potential committers to
> be
> proposed within the Apache Thrift PMC.

That's a great idea and I imagine many people would benefit from having
this sort of information.

> Currently I have the following criterias in mind:
> - continous contributions on mailing list(incl. JIRA issues)
> - people that also interact on other persons tickets or mails
> - data range needs to be up to latest version on master branch
> - latest mailing list data

Getting this information from the mailing list will not be too challenging.
As for the issue tracker, since we currently only support bugzilla I don't
see an easy way to get that information if you are not using bugzilla. Due
you prefer to have this information on a per release basis or for some time
span (e.g. number of mailing list contributions for a developer in the last
3 months)?

I think it would also be very interesting to get this kind of information
from the version control system. Unfortunately, your choice of repository
does not support distinct author and committer information so we are not
able to trace patches back to their authors (who may not yet be
committers). Is this correct or is the "Patch: <developer name>" notation
how you are tracking the original authors?

Kind regards,

Mitchell