[codeface] Re: mailing list analysis

  • From: Roger Meier <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: codeface@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 20:24:45 +0000

Hi Mitchell

Quoting Mitchell Joblin <joblin.m@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hello,

The latest version of the 'tm' package (v0.6) breaks the mailing list
analysis when the 'snatm' package calls the function tm::Source(..). The
current solution is to use an older version of the tm package. Version
0.5.10 of the tm package does not experience this problem.

.Rprofile and packages.R might support version selection options to avoid
such situations.

We should of course notify the maintainers of the 'snatm' package so that
this gets fixed in a future release. Perhaps we also need another strategy
to prevent this type of problem from occurring again.

We could install specific versions of R packages that we know to work
rather than assuming the latest versions will always function properly
together. At the very least, we should publish versions of the packages
that we know to work correctly. For first time installers of Codeface these
incompatible package issues are difficult to identify, and will probably
cause the user to just abandon the project.

Using the Vagrantfile and probably adding a .travis.yml is another option
to improve usability and to run unit tests on master branch and pull requests.

all the best!
-roger

Cheers,

Mitchell Joblin