[cocomud] Questions on exporting worlds

  • From: cocomud@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cocomud@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 11:11:44 +0100

Hi everyone,

Sprint 14 is still under way.  The publishing date is for tomorrow and so far, it looks like I'm going to be able to publish everything on time (reminder: you can see the sprint progress here: https://cocomud.plan.io/projects/cocomud-client/roadmap). There's a little question for next sprint however, and I'd like your opinion.

You might have missed the feature, because there's not a lot of configuration so far.  But CocoMUD offers to auto-import configuration, either from a file (a ZIP archive) or from the website.  Configurations can be stored directly on the website and be really easy to install.  With time, I'd like to offer preset of configuration for a lot of games.  To do that, the only way is to have others create configuration for the games they like (I can't do it all) and then, somehow, upload their configuration to the website.

So far, uploading a world is pretty simple.  We have a dedicated project wiki.  Creating a page and adding the file (as a ZIP archive) is enough.  However, it's not that straightforward, and not that great, since I'll have to do the final uploading in all cases.  I could limit to only choices of users, those who would be allowed to directly upload their configuration, but how would I know these users can be trusted to do that without harmful intent may not be the easiest choice.  I was thinking of restricting everyone (you can read the wiki but you can't upload worlds) and these wanting to add new worlds, or update the existing worlds, could send a message on this list.

I don't have a better idea for the time being, but I'm open to suggestions.  This is not going to appear right away, but the system already exist and should be used, to start with a good strategy, which is always better.  Of course, changing strategy mid-course isn't such a problem either.

What do you think?  Don't hesitate to share your thoughts here!

Have a good Saturday,

Vincent