[cocomud] Playing a sound, change of strategy

  • From: cocomud@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cocomud@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 08:26:28 +0200

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in the previous email, I am taking this opportunity to optimize CocoMUD.  One thing that slowed it down (particularly on first run) was the use of the pygame library. For those who don't know, pygame allows to create games in Python using a very simple interface.  However, CocoMUD only used it for playing sounds in triggers, and Pygame is not a light library.  So I've decided to drop pygame and find an alternative way to play sounds.

I have found one, and it wasn't easy.  However, this new strategy doesn't come without drawbacks: although it might work on Windows and other platforms, and is able to read more formats, the results might be a bit random.  One of the major drawbacks: although the documentation states that more formats might be available, on Windows, it seems to read only WAV and MP3 files.  Not OGG.  OGG is good, since it's lighter and open, so I can publish it without problem in my demo worlds.  It was supported by pygame (pygame didn't support MP3).  So the main question is: would it be extremely problematic if CocoMUD stopped processing OGG files, instead being able to read WAV and MP3 files?  How many of you use OGG files for the time being?  There are ways to convert, sure, but it might be an additional inconvenience.

Good day to all,

Vincent