[cochiselinux] Re: old browser

  • From: Tom Ponsford <tponsford@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:10:25 -0700

Remember, the only computers capable of running a webserver at that time (
well, a "real" one) were Unix machines. I don't think MS had their own TCP/IP
stack for windows at that time. Most likely it (the tcp/ip stack) was bundled
in the slipknot browser so it could comminicate with Unix servers. Hence the
name Unix web browser. This was before M$ bought spyglass, who along with NCSA
developed the first really capable Mosaic browser that ran primarily on Unix
machines but was later ported to Windows 95. (W95 being a quasi-32 bit OS)

Cheers

Tom

Dick Sears wrote:
> In cleaning out some old floppy boxes I found
>
>               SLIPKNOT  --  UNIX Web Browser
>               "Requires Windows 3.1x"
>
> Now that has some age on it!
> I'm curious why a UNIX application would require
> a Windows installation.  Anybody know?

---
Please do not read this sig. If you have read this far, please unread back to
the beginning.