[cochiselinux] lug meeting 6/13/03 - forth

  • From: "Prevett, Larry" <Prevettl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:41:58 -0700

Hey we had an interesting meeting on Sunday. Two people from Cochise
Stronghold
learned about the meetings from the web site. One of them was a Forth
programmer.
We downloaded a copy of Forth (gforth) and Terrel did an informal
introduction
to Forth. There were about 6 people there.

Forth was created by Charles H. Moore. The first use of it was to control
some telescopes at Kitt Peak Observatory right here in southern AZ.

I took some notes and put them on the web here:

http://math.cochise.edu/forth

This was a good meeting. We had talked about doing something like this
later on when we are more organized - have a short organized talk on
something, then break off into other things. I think everyone enjoyed it.

I had heard of Forth but had never used it. I'm intrigued with it now,
especially since it has connections to math and science, and some local
history associated with it. I asked Terrel if he would be interested in
teaching course (oh boy!) and he said that could be fun.

lp