[cochiselinux] Re: linux classes for spring 2004

  • From: "Prevett, Larry" <Prevettl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:08:50 -0700

|I know you've worked with Jack Emery for online support of these
|classes. Would you like to use Blackboard? I'd be willing to put up a =
section
|for each class and let you work with this interface if you want. Let me =
know=3D
|if this is something you would like to pursue - I'll be glad to work =
with =3D
|you and Jeff.

|George Self
|Director, Online Campus

Thanks George, while the courses are in the development phase
I want to stay away from a Blackboard (BB) interface. Once courses are
in a more developed state, then moving static materials in a BB
environment might be ok. Jeff might want to try it out.

Do you have any default visitor accounts that folks could look
at to see what it's like?

Jeff and I had discussed talking with you about an
online version of the "Installing and Using Linux" course. We finally
decided that if a clear prerequisite for the course was: "to already
have a working installation of Linux" then an online version of that
course might be possible. We were afraid that without a standard
hardware/software configuration it would be almost impossible to
guide a beginning person through all the steps and troubleshoot all
the possible things that could go wrong, even with a standard distro
and version. (comments from anybody that already took the course?)

Some of the students had working versions of Linux and were using the
materials online and reported that it worked farily well. I think some
of them were even using a different distro than RH9. (comments?)
 =20
lp