[cochiselinux] linux classes for spring 2004

  • From: "Prevett, Larry" <Prevettl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:31:19 -0700

I finally(!) have the registration information for the
Linux courses being taught at Cochise College this spring semester.
If you want to expand your boundaries with Linux there are
several fun options to choose from.

We're going to split the Installing and Using Linux  =20
Course into two parts, Part I one for the 1st 8 weeks,=20
and Part II for the 2nd 8 weeks. That'll give more time
for labs and for people to go through the material.

We're also piloting a Databases (PostgresSQL, PHP)
course, a Geographical Information Systems (GRASS5) course,  =20
and a Bioinformatics (Apache, WIMS, Perl, EMBOSS, BLAST, more)
course as part of a program in Scientific Computing we are
developing. We're running the database and GIS courses as
"geology" courses simply because of the examples, but the
principles would be applicable in a more general setting.
Most PostgreSQL info applies also to MySQL.

I'll put some more information about the course content
at http://math.cochise.edu in the next day or so.

Here's the registration information.

Title: Installing and Using Linux, Part I
Time: MW 6-8 pm
Session: 1st 8 weeks
Place: Room 1, Building P-1, Sierra Vista Campus
Course Number: MAT198F
Section: 70
CRN: 11750
Credits: 2
Prerequisites: none
Book: Learning RedHat Linux, O'Reilly press
Instructor: Jeffrey Denton

Title: Intro to Bioinformatics
Time: Tue, Thu 1:45 - 4:30
Session: 16 weeks
Course Number: BIO 298
Section: 70
CRN: 10230
Credits: 4
Prerequisites: Intermediate Algebra, or permission
Book: Bioinformatics, Lesk, Oxford University Press
Instructors:
  Ken Charters - Biology
  Jack Emery - Perl Scripting
  L. Prevett - Math, Computer Science
more info: http://math.cochise.edu/bioinfo/

Title: Special Topics in Geology:
       Introduction to Scientific Databases
Time: Tue 6-8 pm
Place: Room 1, Building P-1, Sierra Vista Campus
Course Number: GLG 192
Section: 70
CRN: 11693
Credits: 1
Prerequisites: none
Recommended Book (not required):
Practical PostgreSQL, Worsley and Drake, O'Reilly press
Instructor: L. Prevett=20
   1. Installation and Configuration of Postgres, phpPgAdmin
   2. Creating User Accounts and Databases
   3. Designing and Creating Tables
   4. Uploading and Modifying Data with SQL
   5. Inserting and Editing Data
   6. Accessing a Database with PHP Pages
   7. Scripting to Create and Filter Data
   8. Case Studies

Title: Special Topics in Geology:
       Introduction to Geographical Information Systems
Time: Tue 6 - 8 pm
Session: 2nd 8 weeks
Place: Room 1, Building P-1, Sierra Vista Campus
Course Number: GLG 192
Section: 71
CRN: 15196
Credits: 1
Prerequisites: none
Recommended Book (not required, expensive, recommended for serious =
students):
Open Source GIS, A GRASS GIS Approach, Neteler and Mitasova, O'Reilly =
press
Instructor: L. Prevett (with special assistance from Tom Ponsford - Tom, =
I hope you're reading this ...)

     1. Introduction and prerequisite GIS concepts
     2. Raster data
     3. Vector data
     4. Site data
     5. Aerial photography and remote sensing data
     6. GIS Programming and Web Applications
     7. Geostatistics, R, GPS data
     8. Case studies and field projects

L. Prevett