[cochiselinux] itx mini motherboard

  • From: "Prevett, Larry" <Prevettl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:59:23 -0700

One of Rick Gill's students brought in
a motherboard about the size of a potholder
last week. He had a full operating system (W98)
on a little 1GB flash card and wanted to try to=20
put Linux on it.

I told him to try Busybox,=20
 http://www.busybox.net/
but with 1G you could put almost any distro on it.

I forget the name of his vendor, but here
is a link to some similar boards.
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/

His board cost about $300 and with the flash card
and the ram he hadn't spent more than $500. Within
about 5 minutes he had a keyboard, a mouse, a monitor,
a power supply and nic hooked up and was on the internet.

This was the first one of these things I've seen.
The thing was so small. It looked like an embedded
system device, only it was a real computer.

His project was to get a usb video card, a wireless card,=20
some AA batteries that would run long enough for a=20
short flight, mount the thing on the front of a little plane,=20
and send down real-time video - like his own personal UAV.

If you could get the cost down, you could get 16 of those things
and build a tiny Beowulf cluster.

lp