[cochiselinux] Scientific Linux

  • From: Dick Sears <searsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:57:52 -0700

Friday I installed Scientific Linux 4.1 (aka. 4a)  on a relatively old Dell
900 MHz workstation, over the top of an existing SuSE 9.x installation.
Choosing the "workstation" option, the installation went smoothly without
a hitch, without encountering any unanswerable questions.  The Red Hat
origins became obvious at the start, when it asked if I wanted to check the
disks.  Including the disk checks, the install occupied almost 1-3/4  hours,
relieved by some mildly interesting photos. About 1-1/2 of the 4 disks
were needed.

It did not recognize the  old Lexmark Z25 printer, so I'll have to install
the driver software. (Redhat 8 and 9 also did not recognize that printer.)

It seemed to be a pretty unsurprising distro, although it included more
image manip and data management applications than some others. (This
distro is ex Fermilab and CERN and has been vetted by some very picky
users.)

Tuesday I started a "personal" install on a dual boot Dell 8200 desktop. After
about 2 dozen failures to load modules, many of which succeeded after two
or three retries, I'd been at it for >2 hours and the progress window said I had
165 minutes to go. There seemed to be no escape hatch so I powered down
and called it a day. No big deal - I'd just load some other distro instead.
Sorry - not to be - every power-up brought up the grub command line. Man
instructions provided no escape route.

Sooo... I inserted a DOS 6.22 boot disk and did an "fdisk /mbr."  Now the
problem is to decide which distro to try next.  Suggestions?