[cochiselinux] Re: "Red Hat Cans Linux Distribution"

  • From: gselfcom@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 08:06:08 -0700

Redhat announced this proposal some time ago (several months, at least). They
are now pointing customers to the "Fedora Project"
(http://fedora.redhat.com/) - but it is not officially supported by Red Hat.

It seems they have decided that the only way to make money with Linux is to
appeal to big business.

Just last week I received (and installed) Suse 9.0 on my home computer. I like
that distribution and think it compares nicely to Redhat. You may want to give
it a try.

Of course, I think Jeff is partial to Slackware.

The point is, there are lots of players in this game. Redhat happened to be
the biggest in the United States (Suse in Europe); but their abandonment of
the home user won't kill Linux.

--George Self