[cochiselinux] No Room in Root Partition (Root Partition Full)

  • From: Rex Bouwense <clug.rexb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 09:05:10 -0700

While attending the on line AZLOCO Installfest/Linux Work Shop yesterday, a user brought up a problem that we had not dealt with before.  Her root partition was full.  After trying sudo apt autoremove which did not succeed because there was absolutely no room and attempting to delete files with Synaptic Package Manager which met with the same result, a member proposed the following solution which worked:

/sudo apt-get clean/

/sudo mv /var/lib/apt/links/tmp/

/sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/apt/links/partial/

/sudo apt-get clean/

/sudo apt-get update/

/sudo apt-get autoremove/

(Of course the /apt-get/ command has been deprecated and replaced by /apt/.  Either command will give the same results)

I had never come across this particular problem but wanted to pass it on to the members for future reference.  If you periodically use the command /sudo apt autoremove/, your root partition will not get jammed up like hers did.  Just a matter of preventive maintenance.

Rex Bouwense