[cochiselinux] Re: Linux text and distro

  • From: "George Self" <gself@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:11:57 -0700

I'm sorry to have taken so long to reply, but I wanted to get to my office
so I could send an accurate response to this question. For CIS 128 (the
"Intro to UNIX/Linux" class), we are using two books:

Introduction to UNIX and Linux, John Muster, 2003, McGraw Hill Osborne,
ISBN: 0-07-222695-1
UNIX In a Nutshell (3rd Ed), Arnold Robbins, 1999, O'Reilly, ISBN:
1-56592-427-4

The first book comes with a Redhat 7.3 CD. Because it teaches UNIX/Linux
using that distro we chose to use a RH distro in the lab (though we did
install Fedora Core 3). This way, all of the examples in the book match what
the students will find on the machines (directory structures, etc). As I
mentioned earlier, I think that we are going to upgrade to Fedora Core 4
this Christmas; but I'm not the lab administrator so I don't know for sure.
Also, the machines dual-boot with Solaris. Students study only Linux in CIS
128 (the "Intro" class), but switch to Solaris for CIS 229 (the "sys admin"
class). Finally, many of our programming students take classes in the UNIX
lab. They boot up Solaris and use various tools in that system to write and
compile programs in C, C++, Java, etc. We do this primarily to make better
use of that lab and since there's no reason why students have to have a
Windows machine to just compile programs the UNIX lab works quite nicely. As
an added benefit, programming students are also exposed to the UNIX
operating system for at least one class, so they may not be quite so scared
of it if they ever see it again.

The second book is required for all of our UNIX classes and is simply a nice
quick reference to various UNIX commands.

We also have two servers that are used for the UNIX online classes. One of
them is running some version of Redhat and the other is running some version
of Solaris. I really don't know much more about them than that.

Finally, I apologize for misspelling "Solaris" in my earlier message. I know
it doesn't end with an "X", but my fingers just hit that key for some
reason.

I hope this helps.

--George Self