[cochiselinux] Failure of Ubuntu 18.04 to boot on older machines

  • From: Rex Bouwense <majb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:42:25 -0700

At our most recent installfest we installed 18.04 on a Mac-Mini and the screen froze just prior to login.  I attempted to replicate the problem at home on an old Dell Opti-Plex and it too failed to boot but it would install and boot to any of the other Ubuntu "flavors" even Kubuntu which is just as robust as Ubuntu.  Many things were tried, including nomodeset.  While attempting to take nomodeset off the grub menu I discovered that Ubuntu 18.04 now comes with gdm3 as the default login display manager which is a lot heavier that the older LightDM that used to be the default login display manager. Older machines may not have the ability to load the gdm3.  A solution was found here:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/446119/the-difference-in-ubuntu-18-04-that-requires-nomodeset/447707#447707

which downloads the LightDM and makes it the default login display manager.  Now the Opti-Plex boots normally.

Rex Bouwense