[cochiselinux] Re: Compiling problem

  • From: Tyler Milam <tylermilam@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:59:53 -0700

Peter Levine wrote:

>Tried ldconfig, but that didn't help. I saw that Suse had a zlib developer
>package, installed it, and that did the trick. It obviously has files that
>the "normal" zlib does not have. Further down the compiling line, I got an
>error that it could not find OpenSSL lcrypto. Installing the Suse developer
>OpenSSL package solved that one, too. I guess the "normal" packages are OK
>unless you need to compile. The INSTALL doc that came with the source files
>said I needed SSL and zlib, but no mention of needing a developer package
>with specific files. Lesson learned. I wonder if this is just Suse packages,
>or do all distros have "normal" and developer packages?

No. Generally, you have a choice between precompiled binaries or
compiling from source. I strongly detest anything precompiled. Most rpms
that you use are probably precompiled, leading to quick installation.
Usually if you have an rpm as source, it will make it obvious (ex:
<filename>.src.rpm) or something like that. Binaries usually just end in
.rpm with no "src" in the title. Compiling from source results in better
performance, but most people would argue that the gains are negligible.