[cochiselinux] Anti-virus, firewall, and anti-spyware software

  • From: "Sears, Dick Mr EPG" <richard.sears@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:29:58 -0700

Apparently my subscription was dropped, but that's fixed now. I've been
inactive for a while, but have started
up a Linux box again. I'll have to relearn a lot!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd like some recommendations for a stand-alone Linux AV package. I have
McAfee VirusScan for UNIX, but it's more oriented to
clients on a LAN, and, I hear, appallingly memory intensive. (I've got Suse
10.1 on a slow 10 GB machine.)
I'd also like a personal firewall of the style of Zone Alarm...and some
anti-spyware program(s).

It's possible that all of these are on disks 4, 5, and AddOn, but without
knowing their names I haven't identified them.

(Incidentally, I've been running Black Ice firewall for XP, and it's very
aggressive, but utterly fails to learn. For example,
I do a daily download and execution of the Symantec definition file, and
every day it blocks the execution at least
four times, in spite of my clicking the "Don't ask again" box. It always
identifies Firefox as a possible rogue application
and also as a possible Trojan, but doesn't even provide a "Don't ask again"
button. NOT RECOMMENDED.)