[co2015tickets] Use of PHP Short tags

  • From: "Chris" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <co2015tickets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:49:23 +0100

Hi all,

When you're coding, can you not use PHP short tags (e.g. don't use: <? ?>
Use this instead: <?php ?> ) to ensure maximum compatibility across systems.

This is because short tags are not necessarily enabled on all servers and
using them on a short-tag disabled server will cause the PHP code to fail.

To "encourage" use of long tags, I'll be turning short tag support off on
the development server. I'm currently replacing all short tags with long
tags on the latest revision of the site, so you shouldn't have to worry
about changing old code once you update your working copy to the latest
revision.

The revision I'm working on now will also make changes to the database, so
make sure to reinstall a fresh database copy to your local development
environment. I'm not changing anything major, but removing a lot of the left
over rubbish from last year in anticipation of providing some better
designed tables.

Hope you're all having a good easter,

Chris