[cndcoinerrs]: Re: Catalogue of Varieties

  • From: "Patrick Burns" <p.burns@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cndcoinerrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:14:38 -0700

   JFK, as a collector of varieties only, I was not thinking of errors.
Nevertheless I think that some errors, such as rotations, could be incorporated
into an identification scheme even more easily than most varieties.  A simple
"Rxxx" suffix would be all that is needed, with xxx representing the degree of
rotation.  Other errors such as clipped planchets and cuds might require two
numbers, one to identify how much had been clipped off or cudded, and the other
to identify where.  Of course things such as abraded dies and die breaks would
be harder to describe in such a manner.  Just my two cents' worth, it is not my
bailiwick.

   I have been unsuccessful trying to get Ken Potter's variety coin register
listings.  It would be interesting to hear what his numbering system involves.
Based on his submissions to CCN and Charlton, it appears to be just a
sequential listing for each date starting with the letters VCR.  We can do much
better.

   As far as sharing the yet-to-be-accumulated CEVNA information, I think the
biggest incentive for adoption would be free and unfettered access.  It would
be great if someone saved us the trouble of publishing it.  My only concern
would be a scoundrel who published all our info, added a bit of his own, then
refused to share the bits he added with CEVNA.  Perhaps we can legally
stipulate than anyone can publish CEVNA-derived info but must acknowledge it
and share back.

Pat