[cndcoinerrs]: Greetings!!

  • From: " Fenix" <fenix@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cndcoinerrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:30:52 -0400

Hello Everyone

I want to apologize for taking over a week before sending an update.

I have been trying to verify the email address for a number of people who
expressed interest during the founding meeting at the CAN convention. That
is taking a little longer than I had thought; I am still working on 11
names. Not including these names, our list consists of approximately 30
members.

Well what happened at the meeting.

I am very happy to report that there were approximately 22 people in
attendance. Bill English gave an informative presentation on minting errors
and their causes. There seemed to be a number of very interested people.
After the presentation there was show and tell session, where a number of
very interesting error coins were passed around for interested parties to
view. Bill has a very comprehensive collection of planchet punching errors.
Fascinating!

Following this we had an open discussion with respect to interest in forming
an Error and Varieties association. I want to say the feedback was a
unanimous YES!

There was a great deal of excitement expressed. A number of very positive
and interesting ideas were discussed.

We talked about the format of the club; either land based or virtual. The
overwhelming majority of the feedback indicated an informal, virtual club
based on a mailing list type approach would satisfy the greatest number of
people. A number of people mentioned successful clubs that are using that
effectively. Some names (the names are not necessarily accurate) I captured;
Bi-Metalic Collector's Club, Cuban Numis. Assoc., Elongated Collectors Intl,
and Numis. Bibliomania Soc.. I have researched some of these.

There was also general interest in a regular (not sure of the frequency yet)
eNewsletter. We discussed a Club website that could be used to collect and
distribute knowledge to the membership. An archive area might be available
for discussion digests and the newsletters. We talked about trying to
share/collect information from the CCRS site as well.

There was interest express in collecting specific "databases", one such idea
was to collect the statistics (weight, size, alloy) on all planchet types
used at the RCM for both local and foreign coins. This would be very useful
in attributing wrong planchet strikes. An extension to this would be to
include known examples with images.

These are all very exciting ideas. and there is much more that can be
accomplished as well. Let's not start out too aggressive though. I would
suggest starting with this mailing list and then grow into a website when we
have enough material to make it worthwhile. The only thing that can prevent
us from our goal of a successful association is lack of interest or a lack
of contribution. The way to our success is from membership contribution,
there is a vast knowledge base that we can build on and grow. In my opinion
no contribution is too small. I welcome your feedback. I believe we should
start thinking about and collecting articles for our first newsletter as
soon as possible.

The first order business as I see it is to decide on a name for our
association. There have been a few ideas put forth in response to a
questionnaire I distributed.

1.      CEVA [Canadian Errors and Varieties Assoc.]
2.      CEVCA [Canadian Errors and Varieties Collectors Assoc.]
3.      EVEA [Errors and Varieties Enthusiasts Assoc.]
4.      CCEVA [Canadian Coin Error and Varieties Assoc.]
5.      CCIA [Canadian Coin Irregularities Assoc.]

I know that naming can be a very subjective and personal thing. There was a
very long discussion in the Newfoundland club meeting on this subject. In
order to try and avoid this long debate I would propose that we choose a
name from the above list and ask for your feedback.

I would like to propose the name "Canadian Errors and Varieties Association"
or CEVA which seems to represent the essence of what the members are
interested in. It is short, concise and versatile. Depending on the level of
feedback I would like to limit this discussion to no later to next Friday,
August 4th, and have the name officially announced on (or before)  Saturday
August 5th so we can move on to more details.

I would like to thank everyone for their continued support.
Henry
(fenix@xxxxxxxxxx)

Please note, by replying to this email your comments will be distributed to
the members of the list.