[cldp] Re: news

  • From: Karol Pietrzak <kap4020@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cldp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:13:08 -0400

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 22:10, Benjamin Rich wrote:
> > Thanks, Ben!  I will get more involved after this week, because I'm just
> > super busy this week.
>
> Me too, I am now majorly sick, and to top that off I have to do two
> uni projects in the next week, but in a bit I'll be back online. Give
> me your thoughts on moving to autopackage format, I'll be considering
> that next once I get the site moved.

I hope you're better this week! Sickness can really ruin a week.

Anyways, about autopackage:  it's the closest thing to Linux has to a usable,
distribution-neutral software distribution mechanism.

In fact, it's in use right now by the following projects:
- Gaim
- Inkscape
- Abiword
- Gimp

I think Autopackage or something like it is the wave of the Linux future,
frankly.

However, just the mention of the word "autopackage" gives some people brain
tumors.   I think we should refrain from any mentioning of it.

However, I think BrickLayer can still have some "meat" to it without endorsing
a specific packaging format, which will please no one.  Perhaps BrickLayer
could be more of a framework so that EVERY package format could use it...

So, in summary, I feel we should refrain (at least for now) from endorsing any
specific package format to gain as broad an acceptance as possible.

> > P.S. Any interest in making a Google Summer of Code project?  I'd be all
> > over that.  Currently, I'm considering doing a KDE or Python project,
> > which will seriously affect any commitments I can make to the CLDP.
>
> I'm not sure what's involved in the summer of code thing, what do we
> do? Does it matter that I don't live in America?

Oh, it's too late for that, heh, as I just found out.  Basically Google pays a
university student to write code from an organization that has applied for
the SoC.

http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

> What projects are you considering, out of interest?

Ah, I'm considering Python, KDE, OpenOffice.org, SCons, or something else
entirely maybe.  But I'm not quite sure entirely yet.  It might come down to
"whoever takes me". :)

Take care!

--
Karl Pietrzak