[cldp] Re: issues

  • From: "Karol Pietrzak \(RIT Student\)" <kap4020@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cldp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:45:06 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: cldp-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Benjamin Rich
Sent: Tue 4/18/2006 11:29 PM
To: cldp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cldp] Re: issues

> > P.S. Are there any chances of getting a Track installation on the webpage?
> > Free Wiki included. :)
> What exactly is track btw? =P

> I'll check it out, the new host (which I've just moved over to in the
> last hour =) seems to only provide the usual, phpbb forum, mediawiki,
> etc. - I'll see if we can get a Track installation on there, probably
> manually. Shoul be a breeze since we now have shell access and no more
> cpanel crap to worry about.

I'm glad you asked. :)  Trac [1] is defined by its creators as follows:

"""
Trac is an enhanced wiki and issue tracking system for software development
projects.

Trac uses a minimalistic approach to web-based software project management. Our
mission; to help developers write great software while staying out of the way.
Trac should impose as little as possible on a team's established development
process and policies.

All aspects of Trac have been designed with one single goal, to simplify
tracking and communication of software issues, enhancements and monitoring
overall progress.
"""

All that sounds great, but the screenshots page
[http://www.edgewall.com/trac/screenshots.html] gives some very good
information.

In reality, it appears to me that it works very well in managing software.  You
get instant progress reports, and stuff like, "You are 76% into release 1.2".

The Autopackage team is transitioning to one:

https://adidas.servegame.org/projects/autopackage

For example, check out this page specifically:

https://adidas.servegame.org/projects/autopackage/roadmap

If not Trac, then something else, but I feel strongly about some kind of
project management software.

As someone who is currently looking around for some open-source project to
contribute to (especially for Google's Summer of Code), the lack of some kind
of electronic project management is a huge turn off.  It makes it extremely
difficult for a newcomer to contribute, even if they become "officially" part
of the team.  I have found this to be very true in both Free, open-source and
in-house, commercial settings.

[1] http://www.edgewall.com/trac/

P.S. There's a spelling mistake at
http://linux-platform.org/bricklayer/index.php: "depdency"
P.S.S.  I apologize for not responding to the entire email; rest assured, that
will come later this week. :)