[cldp] issues

  • From: "Benjamin Rich" <benjamin.rich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cldp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:37:42 +1000

Hi all,

I'm having some second thoughts about the whole
appfolder/bricklayer/autopackage drama. Here was my train of thought
in making bricklayer:

'Appfolders are cool because they make applications simple and
entirely relocatable; let's implement them in linux; but we can't
include depedencies like GTK etc. in applications, so some deps will
have to be resolved outside; so we'll make a layer to get the distro
to do this.'

Seems simple, doesn't it? But now I'm thinking:

'...okay so we have a system in place to resolve dependencies; but
there are other things which can't stay in the appfolder, we have to
install menu shortcuts etc; that can be taken care of by xdg tools,
but then we have to clean up when the app is deleted; so it has to be
uninstalled through bricklayer; oh well that's not too bad, but it
means the app isn't totally relocatable, has to be
installed/uninstalled; hmm...; oh no and things like man files have to
be put in the system area...'

Things started to fall apart...

'hmm maybe I could have the appfolder and make symlinks from
/usr/share/man t /apps/application.app/man/manfiles or something... no
but then i'd have to remove that when the thing was uninstalled....'

So in short, it's looking shakey. I realise the main reason why I
wanted to implement appfolders was for reason 1 - that then apps on
linux could be relocatable. But this simply isn't possible because of
system depdencies and a host of other things.

Therefore I'm thinking of moving the CLDP officially to autopackage
packages as the default standard, since they are well extablished and
seem to be the best 'universal' standard around.

But there are still problems to ponder:

- The way autopackages handle dependencies is to have an app developer
name them by domain/appname (eg. 'some other developer's user-defined
category/application name'), and grab them off the net. Said
dependency is also an autopackage, and installs via this method again.
This tramples all over the distro's inbuilt package management system,
and I don't think it's a good idea. Also, how are people supposed to
keep track of maintainer domains?

- Could we alter autopackage and make a version where dependencies are
resolved via bricklayer? This would be ideal I think, but how to go
about it? Should we even suggest the idea to the autopackage people
that deps be resolved via the distro?

- What if we removed BrickLayer/LDBK completely, and just concentrated
on the other tools, and getting along with xdg/autopackage? Would it
be good to be trying to integrate with autopackage, ie. be at the
mercy of the decisions made by another project? How do they stand on
using freedesktop.org stuff?

Really need everyone's ideas on this,

-Ben