[claserve] conference speaker

  • From: Brannon Hertel <hertelbchs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: claserve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:31:52 -0800 (PST)

Hello, all,

I know a guy--a teacher, poet, professor, writer--who
has a book coming out this month.  His name is Tod
Marshall.  His book is called *Range of the Possible :
Conversations With Contemporary Poets*.  Tod teaches
at Gonzaga University.  He and I met and becamefriends
when I went to KU, and he taught a Poetry Writing I
class back then.

Tod is extremely prolific and at the edge of breaking
loose on the writing scene: some of you may have
already heard of him, but maybe not yet.  He's a young
guy, I think in his late thirties, early forties, and
very well spoken.  Really a great teacher--he had a
profound influence on me as a writer and teacher.  He
may actually be the first person I would call a mentor
in my career.

Somewhere along the way, maybe next year or some year
after, I'd like to get Tod in for our conference.
When he told me about his new book (he has another one
being published within the year that is simply HIS
poetry), I told him about our conference.  I asked him
what he might have to say that would be of interest to
our audience and he said: "The hook would be teaching
poetry to young students; I think that poetry teaching
in high school frequently damages kids; the "riddle"
approach to a poem.  My book gives poets' insights
into their work coupled to an emphasis on how poetry
should be a culturally celebrated thing.  I've taught
creative writing classes to junior high and high
school students on a frequent basis, and I teach
community classes, too."

I think Tod would be great because of how fresh he is
on the scene.  I've watched how he has progressed over
the last ten years, and he is going to be a major
writer here very soon.

I know we can get him reasonably, if we are
interested.

Shelly, I know this is your gig, but I thought I'd
throw this out to you all.

Something to chew on...

Brannon

You might catch a sampling of what he writes by
getting on a search engine and typing his name "Tod
Marshall."  Lots of stuff will come up.

Anyone who is interested in checking out his book,
here's a link to the Amazon.com site where you can
purchase it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0910055785/qid%3D1013193050/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F0%5F1/102-8224381-7445718